Learning Services was created to help students meet the academic challenges of an academically accelerated, college preparatory school. Learning Services is responsible for directing and facilitating the School’s efforts to ensure that every student understands his or her individual learning strengths, affinities and challenges, helping them maximize his or her learning potential. Learning Services has been designed to assist students at all grade levels with diagnosed learning disabilities, short-term individual learning needs, additional study skills, and help in specific academic areas. Fees may apply based on the services provided.
The Academic Assistance Plan is an individualized, academic support plan that is available to those students who have a full educational evaluation on file with the School that demonstrates learning differences with significant weaknesses that impact academic achievement. This evaluation must have been completed within the last three years. The evaluation must contain specific learning environment recommendations, which address the diagnosed learning difference(s). The evaluation and pre-referral intervention corroborate the necessity for an intensive, specialized approach to learning. Episcopal Collegiate does not guarantee that all recommendations for accommodations can be implemented.
Services provided by Learning Services include but may not be limited to the following:
- Assessment and interpretation of academic performance
- Assessment of standardized and diagnostic test results
- Academic monitoring
- Classroom observations
- Pre-screening for reading and language difficulties
- Consultation services for teachers and parents for the purpose of enhancing learning for those students who learn differently
- Assistance in the development and implementation of an AAP
- Coordination of on-campus tutors
- Regular communication with a student’s support system (parents, faculty, tutors, administrators, diagnosticians, therapists and counselors)
- Sourcing of tutors, therapists and evaluators
- Sourcing of professional development resources for classroom teachers